English Language Development Home
The Meyersdale Area School District's English Language Development (ELD) Program seeks to ensure that ALL students are provided with a quality education.
- The MASD English Language Development Program serves English Learners whose dominant language is not English for the purpose of facilitating the students' achievement of English proficiency and the academic standards.
Program Goals for English Learners
- Teach Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing skills to each English Learner (EL) in the English Language Development (ELD) Program.
- Facilitate English Learners acquisition through the communication skills used to read, write, listen, speak, and understand others and reinforce the General Education curriculum.
- Assist all English Learners (ELs) in accessing the content area instruction while acquiring the English language, so they can remain at grade level and make progress toward grade level competencies in the content areas.
- Incorporate English Learners into the content classes using multiple assessment criteria.
- Monitor for two years the progress of Former English Learners (FELs) who have exited the ESL Program to determine if additional alternative language instruction is needed.
- Familiarize the English Learners with the varied cultures and customs of the United States while promoting their own ethnic pride.
- Assist the English Learner to both learn and understand the social behaviors of the school and community and to use the appropriate language and behavior to communicate and interact successfully.
- Communicate consistently with regular classroom teachers, school administrators, school guidance counselors, related support staff, and parents to address the learning and emotional needs of the English Learner in a holistic manner.
- Meet annually with school-based English Language Development Teams (ELD Teacher, Content Teachers, School Guidance Counselors, Administrators, and other related staff personnel) to determine if the ESL student is making progress.
- Evaluate the Primary Home Language Other Than English (PHLOTEs) with the WIDA Screener to determine ELD enrollment, placement, and instruction.
- Assess the identified English Learner yearly with the WIDA ACCESS for ELLs 2.0.
- The Basic Education Circular for English as a Second Language is utilized as the primary source for its program goals and objectives.